OwnCloud / NextCloud Odoo Integration v.11
The tool to automatically synchronize Odoo attachments with OwnCloud / NextCloud files in both ways
Both OwnCloud and NextCloud don't have such disadvantages. This is the tool to integrate their features into your Odoo business work flow. The app automatically stores all Odoo attachments in OwnCloud or NextCloud, and it provides an instant access to them via web links. In such a way users work with files comfortably in the cloud storage, while the results are fully available in Odoo.
How files and folders are synced from Odoo to OwnCloud / NextCloud
- Prepare and keep updated folders' structure in OwnCloud / NextCloud
- Upload new attachments to a correct folder
Odoo creates a convenient directory structure in OwnCloud / NextCloud: Odoo / Document type name / Document name / Files, where:
- Odoo is a central directory for Odoo Sync in your cloud storage.
- Document type is a synced Odoo model, for example, 'Sale orders', 'Opportunities', 'Customers'
- You select document types by yourself. It might be any document type
- Moreover, you might have a few folders for a single document type. Use Odoo domains to have not global 'Partners, but 'Customers' and 'Suppliers', not just 'Sale orders' but 'Commercial offers', 'To deliver', and 'Done orders'
- With each sync Odoo would try to update document types' folders. Add a new document type at any moment. It will appear in OwnCloud / NextCloud with a next sync
- You are welcome to introduce or change document types folder names at any moment in Odoo. Take into account: renaming in OwnCloud / NextCloud will be recovered to Odoo names
- If you remove a model from integration, it will not be deleted from OwnCloud / NextCloud to keep already synced files safe. However, new documents of this type would not be synced
- In case you removed a directory in OwnCloud / NextCloud, but it is still configured in Odoo, with a next sync a folder structure is going to be recovered (not files, surely).
- Document is an exact object to sync. For instance, 'Agrolait' or 'SO019'
- Documents are synced in case they relate to a synced document type and satisfy its filters. For example, you are not obliged to sync all partners, you may integrate only 'Customers' and 'Vendors' or only 'Companies', not 'Contacts'
- Odoo would generate a folder in OwnCloud / NextCloud for each suitable document even for documents without attachments. It is needed for a backward sync to easily add new files
- OwnCloud / NextCloud folder name equals a real document name. It relies upon Odoo name_get method. Thus, Odoo 'Michael Fletcher' (a contact of 'Agrolait') would be OwnCloud / NextCloud 'Agrolait, Michael Fletcher'
- If an exact document changes its document type (e.g. a quotation is now confirmed), Odoo will automatically relocate its related folder to a proper parent directory (in the example: from 'Commercial offers' to 'To deliver')
- In case a document relates to a few types (for instance, you have 'Vendors' and 'Customers', while Agrolait is both), this document folder would be put into the most prioritized document type. A document type priority is higher as closer to the top in Odoo interfaces it is
- If an Odoo document is removed, the next sync will remove a corresponding OwnCloud / NextCloud directory
- In case you remove a directory in OwnCloud / NextCloud, but it still exists in Odoo, OwnCloud / NextCloud folder structure would be recovered (while files would be unlinked in both Odoo and OwnCloud / NextCloud)
- Folders renaming in OwnCloud / NextCloud will be replaced with Odoo names, Odoo document names are more important
- Files are real files taken from Odoo attachments
The resulted path would be, for example, 'Odoo / Quotations / SO019 / commercial offer.png'.
The only exclusion of the rule are stand alone attachments which do not relate to any Odoo documents (their document type is 'ir.attachment'). Such attachments' path is 'Odoo / Stand Alone Attachments / image.png'.
The direct sync might take quite a long, since a lot of folders should be created. It is not recommended to make sync too frequent: once an hour or two hours is fine.Files
With each direct sync, Odoo tries to find not yet synced attachments. If such attachments suit any document type to sync, a file will be uploaded to OwnCloud / NextCloud to a proper folder. In Odoo such attachments will become of 'url' type. It means that a file is not any more kept in Odoo server space, but now it is in OwnCloud / NextCloud. Until sync is done, Odoo attachment remains binary and stores an actual file. Such approach helps Odoo to work faster.
If you unlinked an attachment from Odoo, it would be deleted in OwnCloud / NextCloud as well.
Take into account that file names should be managed in OwnCloud / NextCloud: each backward sync would recover OwnCloud / NextCloud names, Odoo is here less important.
How items are retrieved from OwnCloud / NextCloud to Odoo
- If a new file is added to a proper document folder (e.g. to 'Odoo / Customers / Agrolait'), the same attachment will be added to Odoo document (in the example – to 'Agrolait')
- In document folders you can put not only files but also child folders. In that case a link for this folder (not its content) is kept in attachments
- In case you rename a file in OwnCloud / NextCloud, it will be renamed in Odoo as well
- Files' removal from OwnCloud / NextCloud leads to related Odoo attachments' removal
- If you move a file to another document folder, in Odoo a related attachment would be re-attached to this new document. Take into account: if you move a file for a not document folder, in Odoo attachment will be deleted as it has been removed from OwnCloud / NextCloud
- If you deleted a document type or document folder, their child files are deleted as well. Thus, Odoo would remove related attachments. The folders, however, will be recovered with a next direct sync. Folders' move to another directory is also considered as a removal. Avoid such situations by following the simple rule: folders are managed mostly by Odoo, files – mostly by OwnCloud / NextCloud.
Backward OwnCloud / NextCloud might take quite much time, since each folder should be checked (the more folders, the more time the backward sync requires). It is recommended to make frequency oftener than once an hour or two hours.
All document types are in the root directory 'Odoo'
Document types' folders
All document of this type has an own folder
Sync any documents you like
The tool let you split any business model into a few directories. Have a separate folder for individuals and companies, for European and American opportunities, for each project, etc.
Moreover, it is possible to guarantee that only topical documents are synced by using relative periods: leads registered in the last 3 months, invoices updated the last week, and so on.
Typical use cases
- Projects: automatically forward all project-related documents to OwnCloud / NextCloud to share those with a customer as a cloud link.
- Customers: add all partner files in a single directory available both from Odoo and from OwnCloud / NextCloud. Modify those using default cloud editors and access them when working in Odoo.
- Employees: gather all files by this employee in a single cloud folder: photos, document scans, contracts. Access and upload those from Odoo and OwnCloud / NextCloud alternatively.
- Opportunities: carefully store all specifications, requirements and any file which would let you make a good offer.
- Orders: keep all printings and contracts in OwnCloud / NextCloud with simple availability from Odoo.
Choose document types to be synced
Document type might have a few folders based on filters
Easy accessible files
Internal and public URLs
By default all links from Odoo to OwnCloud / NextCloud are internal. It means that only authorized users may access them and, after that, generate shared URLs for others.
It is possible to make them public using the option 'Use Public URLs'. In that case links will become 'shared', meaning that everybody may access those files by links. Although the links would be hardly known by external users, there is a slight chance that they become available as a result of some user actions. Besides, sharing links generation is not fast and might make the synchronization slower. Thus, be cautious if you decide to use shared links.
Fast access to OwnCloud / NextCloud files and folders
Synced files are simply found in OwnCloud / NextCloud. Add unlimited number of files or folders here
Sync logs in Odoo
Default folders for documents
Applicable to all Odoo apps
Very good product
A perfect solution to integrate Owncloud with Odoo. We sync a high volume of objects across multiple Odoo models, which works seamless and stable. For us it is the perfect solution to have an external DMS instead of the Odoo native attachment handling, which also enables us to interchange files between systems in our best-of-breed setup.
The team behind this module is extremely professional and responsive. They helped us on a few occasions and provided clear answers and prompt support when required, and they even went out of their way to assist us with another requirement we had. Cannot recommend the product and team highly enough, try this if you're in the market to connect Odoo with an external document solution.
Works according to specs
I have used this app with Odoo 12 and Nextcloud 16 and it works as specified. Odoo Tools offers very responsive support which is really helpful. Of course 5 stars...!
This is Awesome
I have used Cloud Sync on Next/Own Cloud and works really great.
Configuration and Installation Tips for OwnCloud / NextCloud Odoo Integration Odoo v.11
pip install pyocclient
Configuration and log in
- Enter your cloud storage full url
- Select an OwnCloud / NextCloud, which has full rights to read, create, write and delete files and folders within a root directory
- Enter login and password of this user
- Introduce the title for OwnCloud / NextCloud folder, e.g. Odoo
- Push the button 'Save', and then - the button 'Login and Confirm'
- If everything is fine, push the button 'Sync'
- Make sure that the root directory or its children are shared with your colleagues
Enter OwnCloud / NextCloud credentials
Confirmed credentials to start sync
Odoo server configuration and cron job configuration
To make sure the synchronization works correctly apply proper timeouts to the Odoo configuration file: LIMIT_TIME_CPU, LIMIT_TIME_REAL should be more than 900 seconds.
For Odoo.sh this should not be done, since timeouts are predefined and are not configurable.
Then, timeout should be entered to your Odoo. To that goal find the section 'Settings' on the app configuration page and copy the number there.
Afterwards, it is needed to make the cron jobs suit the applied timeouts. In the debug mode go to the Settings > Technical > Automation > Scheduled Jobs:
- Set up the job 'Synchronize attachments with cloud' as (a) frequency - 2*timeout; (b) the next execution as the next hour +timeout. For example, for 900seconds timeout: frequency - as 30minutes; the next execution - at 08:15
- Set up the job 'Synchronize attachments from cloud' as (a) frequency - 2*timeout; (b) the next execution as the next hour + timeout*2. For example, for 900seconds timeout: frequency - as 30minutes; the next execution- at 08:30.
Frequently Asked Questions about OwnCloud / NextCloud Odoo Integration Odoo v.11
Yes, you can. To this end:
Turn on debug mode
Go to technical settings > Automation > Scheduled jobs
Find the jobs 'Synchronize attachments with cloud' and 'Update attachments from cloud'.
Take into account that you should not make them too frequent. It is preferable this job is finished until a new one is started. Thus, the configuration should depend on how many items you to sync you have. Usually, the frequency is set up between 15 minutes to 4 hours.
Make also sure that you have set up enough time limits in your Odoo configuration file. Thus, LIMIT_TIME_CPU and LIMIT_TIME_REAL parameters should be equal or bigger than planned cron job time. Starting from the version 13 consider also the parameter LIMIT_TIME_REAL_CRON.
An import notice for Odoo.sh clients: the maximum time for cron job might be set up as 15 minutes only.
The app assumes that the binary content of attachments is kept in Cloud Client instead of the Odoo server. So, such attachments in Odoo become of the URL type, and you may any time access them either from the attachments box or from the Cloud Client.
After the setup, no manual actions are required, as the synchronization is fully automatic. Just decide which Odoo document types should be synced and set up a related model to sync for each of those (Customers, Sale or Purchase Orders, Tasks, Projects, etc.).
No, this feature is available only from version 15. Prior to that version, the module works with the pre-defined structure of folders:
Odoo - a core folder for sync
Models - folders for each Odoo document type. For example, 'Projects', 'Partners'. Distinguished by domain there might be more specific folders: e.g., 'Customer 1 Projects', 'Projects of the Customer 2', 'Internal Projects', etc.
Objects - folders for each document, e.g. 'Project 1' or 'Customer 1'
Files and folders related to this Odoo document to be synced.
As a result you may have for instance:
Odoo / Projects / Project 1 / files and folders related to the project 1
Odoo / Customer 1 Projects / Project 1; Odoo / Customer 2 Projects / Project 3, ...
Odoo / Customers / Customer 1 / files and folders related to the customer 1
This structure is always flat, meaning that there are only those levels of hierarchy. Thus, it is correct that various document types can't be done within the same structure. Within the folder 'Customer 1' we can't keep the files related both to sale orders, invoices, and projects. Each of those document type has an own (or a few own) folders. Otherwise, we will not have a chance to make backward synchronization, since there would be no criteria to rely upon.
Yes, you can. To that goal, prepare a rule for each, and then those apply filters: for example by type of a project.
Try to make filters self-exclusive in order a document can be definitely assigned. For instance, 'customer but not supplier', 'supplier but not customer'. Otherwise, a specific document folder would jump from one model to another.
No, the tool relies upon a single user end point. It means that all sync processes are done under a single cloud admin (app). Access rights for created folders / files are not automatized. You should administrate those rights in your cloud storage solution.
No. We have strong reasons to avoid real time sync:
Performance issues. In case a sync is real time, each file upload will result in the loading screen.
Conflict issues. If 2 users simultaneously change an item, it might lead to unresolved situations. In case of regular jobs we can fix it afterwards, while in case of real time we would need to save it as some queue, and it will be even more misleading for users.
Functionality issues. In particular, renaming and restructuring of items. In the backward sync the tool strictly relies upon directories' logic, and during each sync 100% of items are checked. In case it is done after each update, it will be thousands of requests per second. If not: changes would be lost.
No, the tool is only a technical core. You also need the connector for your cloud client.
Yes, depending on your cloud client configuration.
Yes, although in case of many folders / attachments to sync, the process might be slow. Simultaneously, our clients reported to us the environments with >10k partners and ~5k product variants to be synced, and the processes were acceptable.
A few points to emphasize:
The sync is constructed in such a way that anyway any item will be synced and will not be lost, although it might be not fast. It is guaranteed by first-in-first-out queues and by each job commits.
The number of objects might be limited logically. The models' configuration let you restrict sync of obsolete items (e.g there is no sense to sync archived partners or orders which are done 2 years ago).
No, this feature becomes available only from version 15.
No, the tags are not synchronized. We considered this feature previously, but made a decision not to introduce such a feature due to a number of reasons:
The connector library doesn't support getting or updating OwnCloud tags
Odoo attachments do not have the attribute 'tags' and it is not fully clear when those tags would be assigned to users.
Since the app provides bilateral sync, there might be critical conflicts during sync which would be difficult to resolve.
The easiest approach is to use the Odoo store built-in workflow:
1. Open the module's page and click the button Deploy on odoo.sh
2. After that, you will be redirected to the GitHub page. Login to your account and click 'Create a new repo' or use the existing one. Please, make sure, that your repository is private. It is not permitted to publish the apps under the OPL-1 license. If necessary, create a new repo for your Odoo.sh project
3. Then, go to odoo.sh and click on the deploy button, submit the decision in the pop-up window and click 'Continue'. The action will trigger the installation process.
These steps would install the app for your project production branch. If you wanted to deploy the apps for other branches or update the module, you should undertake the following actions:
1. Upload the source code for the app from the Odoo store
2. Commit the module to a required GitHub repository. Make sure that none of the app folders/files are ignored (included in the .gitignore of your repo). Repositories are automatically created by odoo.sh, which might add by default some crucial items there (e.g. /lib). You should upload all module directories, subdirectories, and files without exceptions
3. Deploy a target branch of the odoo.sh project or wait until it is automatically built if your settings assume that.
Yes, sure. Take into account that Odoo automatically adds all dependencies to a cart. You should exclude previously purchased tools.
A red/orange warning itself does not influence features of the app. Regretfully, sometimes our modules do not pass standard automatic tests, since the latter assumes behavior which is in conflict with our apps goals. For example, we change price calculation, while standard Odoo module tests compare final price to standard algorithm.
So, first of all, please check deployed database features. Does everything work correctly?
If you still assume that warning influences real features, please contact us and forward full installation logs and the full lists of deployed modules (including core and third party ones).
Regretfully, we do not have a technical possibility to provide individual prices.
No, third party apps can not be used on Odoo Online.
Yes, all modules marked in dependencies are absolutely required for a correct work of our tool. Take into account that price marked on the app page already includes all necessary dependencies.
The price for our modules is set up in euros. The Odoo store converts prices in others currencies according to its internal exchange rate. Thus, the price in US Dollars may change, when exchange rate changes.
In case you have faced any bugs or inconsistent behavior, do not hesitate to contact us. We guarantee to provide fixes within 60 days after the purchase, while even after this period we are strongly interested to improve our tools.
No phone number or credit card is required to contact us: only a short email sign up which does not take more than 30 seconds.
Please include in your request as many details as possible: screenshots, Odoo server logs, a full description of how to reproduce your problem, and so on. Usually, it takes a few business days to prepare a working plan for an issue (if a bug is confirmed) or provide you with guidelines on what should be done (otherwise).
Public features requests and module ideas (free development)
We are strongly motivated to improve our tools and would be grateful for any sort of feedback. In case your requirements are of public use and might be efficiently implemented, the team would include those in our to-do list.
Such a to-do list is processed on a regular basis and does not assume extra fees. Although we cannot promise deadlines and final design, it might be a good way to get desired features without investments and risks.
No phone number or credit card is required to contact us: only a short email sign up which does not take more than 30 seconds.
The tool to build deep and structured knowledge base for internal and external use. Knowledge System. KMS298€
The tool for time-based service management from booking appointments to sales and reviews
The tool to set up KPI targets and control their fulfillment by periods. KPI dashboards. Dashboard designer. KPI charts
The technical core to synchronize your cloud storage solution with Odoo245€
The tool to automatically synchronize Odoo attachments with OneDrive files in both ways394€
The tool to automatically synchronize Odoo attachments with Google Drive files in both ways394€
The tool to automatically synchronize Odoo attachments with DropBox files in both ways394€