KnowSystem: Knowledge Base System v.12
The tool to build deep and structured knowledge base for internal and external use. Knowledge System. KMS
Innovative single-view interface
From the same interface editors may create and update any knowledge-related documents, change articles in batch, set up security. Without a need for excess navigation.
The KnowSystem interface consists of 3 key parts: the left navigation panel, the list of articles, and the right navigation panel (it is shown only if some articles are selected).
On the left navigation panel you may:
- Manage hierarchy of sections: prepare new (right mouse click - 'create'), update existing (right mouse click - edit), re-order any (drag and drop an item), archive sections. Select a few ones to filter articles. You may also print all articles related to this section as a single PDF file.
- In the same way manage hierarchy of tags
- Sort articles by number of views, a score of likes and dislikes, create or update dates, a section, an author
- Select all articles which are found according to chosen tags / sections and according to introduced searches / filters
- Launch a learning tour.
From the list of articles you see articles' name, indexed content (words without HTML style), dates of creation and last update, a number of views, likes, dislikes, author avatar. Here you may also add an article to favourite by pressing the 'star' icon.
Click on article body to open it in a full size (form view). Do not worry: chosen tags and sections as well as selected articles will be kept when you get back! Click on the top right check box to add an article for selection.
On the right navigation panel you observe selected articles and may proceed a mass action. Click on article name to remove it form selection.
On the top of the interface users also would find a standard Odoo omnibox. Type here to search by a title, content, an author, tags or a section.
Available mass actions
KnowSystem let users update an unlimited number of articles simultaneously:
- Assign new section
- Change or remove tags
- Print multiple articles as a single PDF
- Follow / unfollow discussions
- Publish / unpublish articles
- Export articles to an Excel table
- Archive or restore records
- Add articles to learning tours
- Mark knowledge items as favourite
- Duplicate articles.
KnowSystem articles overview, search and mass actions
Single entry for knowledge management actions
Article read mode
Article info and statistics
Article misc actions
Mass actions for selected articles
Small screen KnowSystem interface
Fast, comfortable, and professional knowledge recording
By using templates with pre-defined styles you may also speed knowledge generation up and standardize articles' appearance.
How to use the website builder for editing articles
KnowSystem provides you with a backend articles' builder, which is comfortable and safe to use. Odoo website builder is richer in features to prepare complex HTML structures. To edit articles through the website:
- Install the optional add-on 'KnowSystem Website and Portal' (the option 'Publish to portal and website')
- Turn on the setting 'Edit on website'
- Push the button 'Edit on website' on this article form
Be cautious: if you are going to print this article or add its contents to emails, website building blocks are not suitable. Their advanced styles contradict printing and composer layouts and would not be correctly shown. In such a case use the safer backend builder.
How to use article templates
To prepare a new article template for repeated usage:
- If you already have an article to be used as template: push the button 'Actions > Make template', edit and save a new template.
- If you wanted to prepare a brand new template, go to KnowSystem > Configuration > Templates and prepare a new one using building blocks.
To use a template to write a new article:
- Push the button 'Create from template' from KnowSystem kanban or form views
- Select a required article template
- Push 'Create' and introduce changes to a new article.
Building blocks for knowledge base articles
Get benefit from your knowledge
How document types and articles are linked for a quick access
Experience is not general, usually it relates to specific issues. Knowledge used for customer communication differs from suppliers' negotiations. Frequently asked questions for draft and confirmed sale orders vary. KnowSystem let you structure your articles to apply them in a correct place and at right time. To that end:
- Turn on the setting 'Articles by Documents' (the option shows the top menu entry above any Odoo document) or 'Articles in Email Composers' (the option adds a quick link in a message composer editor for citing)
- Create a new tag (e.g. 'odoo / helpdesk'). In the table 'Applied to' use a required model (e.g. 'helpdesk ticket') or use it for all documents (the check box 'Apply to all documents').
- As advanced option you may apply additional filters: for example, to show articles only for 'new' tickets, not for 'in progress' ones. Use dynamic filters' constructor for that goal
- Assign this tag for required articles. For a few articles use the mass action 'Mass update'
- Now when you access a quick article search from a document or from an email composer, Odoo will calculate KnowSystem tags for this document. That's why by default users would see only articles suitable for a current document. Simultaneously, they might always change tags to use other knowledge base data.
How to overview articles which might be useful for this document
As soon as you turned on the option 'Articles by Documents', on the top of each Odoo object form view there would be a quick link 'KnowSystem'.
Click on that entry, and Odoo would open the wizard with articles. By default KnowSystem tags suitable for this document would be selected (if any). You may change those tags, or additionally filter by sections or content search. As a result list of topical articles is shown for you.
How to use company knowledge for communication
Turn on the option 'Articles in Email Composers' to let users reference or cite Knowledge records in Odoo messages. As a result the special quick entry 'KnowSystem' would be added to each Odoo email composer.
Clicking on that entry would open a wizard with a set of suitable to this document articles. You may change search by tags, add extra filtering by sections or content.
Afterwards, select required articles among found ones; choose an action. You may:
- Update message body with article contents (would be added to the end of a current message)
- Attach a PDF version of an article(s)
- Share a public link
Quick access for knowledge system from any Odoo document
Knowledge base link from email composer
Articles from any document
Article(s) PDF printing
WIKI-like revision system
How to recover a previous article version
- Go to an article form view and push the button 'revisions'
- Find a required one and push the button 'Observe' to check whether this version is a correct one
- Push the button 'Restore this revision'. The article would be recovered to that version.
- The recovery operation itself is recorded. So, if it is a mistake you can revert changes by recovering the last-to-last revison.
Wiki-style revisions history
To restore is easier than to break
Individual partner knowledge base portal
How to share knowledge base with specific partners
An article is available for a portal user in two cases: A. it is website published; B. his/her company is indicated as allowed partner in one of article tags.
In the first case such an article is available for all portal users and even for public website visitors who have not logged in.
In the latter case you grant a restricted access for an article only for chosen companies. To that end:
- Turn on the setting 'Portal KnowSystem'
- Create a tag for this partner, for example 'clients / Azure Interior'. On the tag form indicate this company in the field 'Allowed partners'
- Assign the tag for all articles you want to share with this partner. For a few articles use the mass action 'Mass update'
- Now portal users related to this partner may access shared articles right from their partner portal.
Knowledge base for portal and public use
KnowSystem articles on website
Tag: document types and portal partners
KnowSystem from portal
Best knowledge base system for Odoo!
Excellent app and exceptional after-sales support.
Really well thought-out product and one of the best features is the contextual help by means of the tags. Really a game changer for us.
Keep up the great work FaOtools!
A great tool from some very nice developers!
KnowSystem is a great tool and a game changer for us. Finally a place to put all our company know-how. I highly recommend it. And also important to us: We got great support from FaOtools too. A rare thing in this busy world. thx!
Outstanding app! Tremendous value for money, an absolute must have!
One of the features sorely lacking from Odoo has been a robust Wiki/documentation system. Using third party platforms is a massive headache: yet another system to maintain, users get distracted switching back-and-forth, and errors get made. Then you have to worry about training, additional logins, etc.
KnowSystem feels like a native/core app, is very well-polished, and extremely fast. It's accessible from any screen, and the search results are instant (none of the latency inherent with most apps).The interface is elegant yet powerful, with robust access control, rich editing features, and version control. It's simple to revert to previous entries, view audit trails, etc. It's very intuitive for anyone familiar with Odoo; onboarding takes just a few minutes. The user guides are excellent.
This is invaluable for any organisation with a lot of documented information, SOPs, ISO compliance, or similar. If you're using eLearning, it's great for creating a help system / reminders. For example, noting key takeaways or specific instructions. The user can be in MRP, Sales, or any other function, and instantly lookup a guide. Since it overlays whichever screen you're in, it doesn't interrupt the workflow.
This dramatically increases efficiency, minimises questions, and helps keep everyone on the same page.
Oh, and customer service is excellent, faOtools stands behind their product. Thank you!
KnowSystem is excellent - OdooTools offer great support, are very helpful and responsive
Our company needed the ability to add a Knowledge Base to our Odoo portal website for our customers to access article content on a membership-only basis. KnowSystem provided this and much more, along with ability to add search by section, set permissions to allow only certain partners access to articles by tag etc. OdooTools have been very helpful and implemented several features we suggested including automatic redirect upon login, customisable filters and a social sharing capability on articles. Overall a great app by a great company, something that massively adds to Odoo's capabilities and is something that everyone could benefit from using.
Very functional application and responsive support
Our company produces medical laser equipment and we use KnowSystem to streamline the knowledge base of our company. Convenient search system and classification of content, as well as access rules for groups and even for individual users.
Great app and professional team
The app is great the the team is very professional in both response timing and problem solving.
Marco from ALO.zone.
Excellent app and support.
Great app and a very helpfull support. Openess to improve their products is outstanding.
Public knowledge base
Team work for knowledge creation
Custom fields to structure knowledge
How custom knowledge attributes work
In order to show a new property for KnowSystem articles, just create a custom field. Nothing else is required! You are welcome to prepare fields of various types: single line text (char), simple text without formatting (text), rich text (HTML-formatted text), integer or float numbers, drop-down choice with your own options (selection), checkbox (boolean), date or date and time, binary (a file to upload), reference to another Odoo document (e.g. for a sale order, contact; many2one).
The tool also introduces complementary articles' typology. Thus set of attributes for 'user guidelines' and 'technical specifications' might be different.
Then, choose an interface location for a new field from a closed list to structure properties on an article page. Decide whether a field should be required to enter, or should be visible only for definite knowledge types.
KnowSystem articles' custom fields
Custom fields on article form
Custom fields in portal and website
Custom fields for article: add any data required
Knowledge is secured and might be safely shared
How to manage user accesses to articles
Security for internal and portal users differs.
For the company employees: KnowSystem considers user groups which are defined per articles, sections and tours. Look at the tab 'Restrict to' on forms of those objects. If that field is not defined, a document is considered 'global': each internal user may read it.
For portal / public users: KnowSystem takes into account tags and whether an article is website published. A knowledge tag has a field 'Allowed partners', which may grant an access to portal users for articles with this tag. Website published pages are available for everybody.
Rights to administrate KnowSystem belongs to 2 user roles: KnowSystem Editor and KnowSystem Administrator. If you want a user to create and edit articles, a user should belong to one of those groups.
|Articles||read related to his/her user groups and sections||read, create, edit, archive related to his/her user groups and sections||read, create, edit, delete any||read published articles and articles related to partner-related tags||read published articles|
|Sections||read related to his/her user groups||read, create, edit, archive related to his/her user groups and sections||read, create, edit, delete any||read all sections of available articles||read all sections of published articles|
|Tags||read any||read, create, edit, archive any||read, create, edit, delete any||read published ones||read published ones|
|Article Types||read any||read any||read, create, edit, delete any||read published ones||read published ones|
|Tours||read related to his/her user groups||read, create, edit, delete related to his/her user groups||read, create, edit, delete any||no access||no access|
|Misc||may like / dislike, add to favourites, print, take part in discussions||may configure options||may like / dislike an article||
Take also into account two peculiarities:
- Odoo user always may access an article of which he is an author disregarding further restrictions;
- Rights for section is defined not only according to this section but also according to all its parents. For example, if user can't access 'sales', he/she would not be able to access 'sales / crm' disregarding whether 'crm' is available for his/her user group.
Manage access to this article
Section update and user rights
Website documentation builder
Create learning tours
How to configure a learning tour
- Turn on the option 'Tours'
- Go to KnowSystem interface and select articles to be included into a tour
- Press the mass action button 'Add to tour' and select or create a tour. Press save
- Re-order articles in a consistent order
- Define groups of users who should go through a tour on the tab 'Restrict access'
- Now users can see and launch tours right from the KnowSystem interface (the right navigation panel)
Article in a learning tour
Control tour progress by users
KnowSystem tour welcome page
Multilingual knowledge base
Knowledge base for any industry and business
Frequently Asked Questions about KnowSystem: Knowledge Base System Odoo v.12
Revisions assume recording not only text changes, but also any updates in styles (technically, when you change HTML source code of an article). Some of those might be not clear from the first glance (e.g. a changed font size of a single word). Others might be drastic. However, any set of action Edit > Change anything in an article > Save would result in a new revision.
In KnowSystem, a section becomes visible on a website if it is published and contains at least one article. Even when it has subsections, it will not be visible, if there isn't a single article in the section itself. This was made to avoid seeing empty sections, and make KnowSystem portal look appealing and easy to navigate through. If you want the section to be shown on the website, you can add one introductory or general article, which briefly describes or lists articles in subsections.
Right click on any tag on the left navigation panel - Create
Find the field 'Allowed partners'. For example 'clients - azure interior' to set up an access for the partner 'Azure Interior'. You can do the opposite: assign KnowSystem tags right on a partner form
Now go to a required article (or you can proceed the same using the action 'Mass update' for multiple records):
If it is published: unpublish it if you don't want to make it available for all portal users and public visitors
Assign a newly created tag (in the example it is 'clients - azure interior')
All portal users related to the commercial partner 'Azure Interior' have an access to the articles with the tag 'Azure Interior'
No other portal users (if different tag is not assigned) have an access to those articles
Internal users are not influenced and can observe articles according the 'access to' logic of articles and sections.
The button 'translate' is not added to the article's body by the optional add-on 'KnowSystem: Multi Languages' on purpose. The reason is that HTML code is very difficult to translate in a simple popup body assumed by the button. There would very little text to translate and a lot of HTML parts (which also might be broken by the translator).
That's why it is assumed that to make an article on a certain language, you should log in under this language user. It might be a different user, or you can temporarily change your current user preferences. After that any updates made in article body would be done in that user language.
Also you can use the button 'Copy from another translation' under the article body, which allows at any moment get the article content from another language (useful in case article has been significantly updated in one of languages).
To that end you may use iframes. Switch an article to the raw HTML code editor and insert, for example, <iframe src="https://faotools.com/" style="width:100%;min-height:600px;"> </iframe>.
Most probably you haven't granted KnowSystem rights for your user. Choose the right 'KnowSystem Editor' or 'KnowSystem Admin' refresh a page. The control buttons should be now shown.
Yes, by applying a user group (e.g. 'Sales Manager') which should pass this tour. If a user belongs to this group, he/she would see this tour. If not, the tour would not be shown. It works in the same way as security rights for KnowSystem articles and sections.
Take into account that if a tour doesn't have assigned groups, it is 'global' and it would be visible for everybody.
The header and the footer for articles PDFs is taken according to the company layouts. Please have a look at Settings > General Settings > the section Business Documents. Here you may define the company template which would be used for all document types, including invoices, sale orders, etc., and for articles as well. Such Odoo approach assumes that footer and header is a general company style, not an attribute of specific printings.
Each article has an internal (backend) and website URLs (in case the option 'KnowSystem: Website and Portal' is installed). Click on the 'Info' button on an article form to know website addresses of this record. You can insert any into your article body as a hyper link.
Yes, to that end turn on the debug assets (on the settings overview screen) and get back to a current article. In the edit mode you will see the special icon '</>'. Click on this icon to observe and edit HTML and styles.
According to the current Odoo Apps Store policies:
- every module bought for the version 12.0 and prior gives you an access to the all versions up to 12.0.
- starting from the version 13.0, every version of the module should be purchased separately.
- disregarding the version, purchasing a tool grants you a right for all updates and bug fixes within a major version.
Take into account that faOtools team does not control those policies. By all questions please contact the Odoo Apps Store representatives directly.
The easiest approach is to use the Odoo store built-in workflow:
1. Open the module's page and click the button Deploy on odoo.sh
2. After that, you will be redirected to the GitHub page. Login to your account and click 'Create a new repo' or use the existing one. Please, make sure, that your repository is private. It is not permitted to publish the apps under the OPL-1 license. If necessary, create a new repo for your Odoo.sh project
3. Then, go to odoo.sh and click on the deploy button, submit the decision in the pop-up window and click 'Continue'. The action will trigger the installation process.
These steps would install the app for your project production branch. If you wanted to deploy the apps for other branches or update the module, you should undertake the following actions:
1. Upload the source code for the app from the Odoo store
2. Commit the module to a required GitHub repository. Make sure that none of the app folders/files are ignored (included in the .gitignore of your repo). Repositories are automatically created by odoo.sh, which might add by default some crucial items there (e.g. /lib). You should upload all module directories, subdirectories, and files without exceptions
3. Deploy a target branch of the odoo.sh project or wait until it is automatically built if your settings assume that.
Unzip source code of purchased tools in one of your Odoo add-ons directory
Re-start the Odoo server
Turn on the developer mode (technical settings)
Update the apps' list (the apps' menu)
Find the app and push the button 'Install'
Follow the guidelines on the app's page if those exist.
Yes, sure. Take into account that Odoo automatically adds all dependencies to a cart. You should exclude previously purchased tools.
Regretfully, we do not have a technical possibility to provide individual prices.
No, third party apps can not be used on Odoo Online.
Yes, all modules marked in dependencies are absolutely required for a correct work of our tool. Take into account that price marked on the app page already includes all necessary dependencies.
Red / orange warning itself does not influence features of the app. Regretfully, sometimes our modules do not pass standard automatic tests, since the latter assumes behavior which is in conflict with our apps goals. For example, we change price calculation, while standard Odoo module tests compare final price to standard algorithm.
So, first of all, please check deployed database features. Does everything work correctly?
If you still assume that warning influences real features, please contact us and forward full installation logs and the full lists of deployed modules (including core and third party ones).
The price for our modules is set up in euros. The Odoo store converts prices in others currencies according to its internal exchange rate. Thus, the price in US Dollars may change, when exchange rate changes.
Odoo demonstration databases (live previews)
For this app, we might provide a free personalized demo database.
No phone number or credit card is required to contact us: only a short email sign up which does not take more than 30 seconds.
By your request, we will prepare an individual live preview database, where you would be able to apply any tests and check assumptions for 14 days.
In case you have faced any bugs or inconsistent behavior, do not hesitate to contact us. We guarantee to provide fixes within 60 days after the purchase, while even after this period we are strongly interested to improve our tools.
No phone number or credit card is required to contact us: only a short email sign up which does not take more than 30 seconds.
Please include in your request as many details as possible: screenshots, Odoo server logs, a full description of how to reproduce your problem, and so on. Usually, it takes a few business days to prepare a working plan for an issue (if a bug is confirmed) or provide you with guidelines on what should be done (otherwise).
Public features requests and module ideas (free development)
We are strongly motivated to improve our tools and would be grateful for any sort of feedback. In case your requirements are of public use and might be efficiently implemented, the team would include those in our to-do list.
Such a to-do list is processed on a regular basis and does not assume extra fees. Although we cannot promise deadlines and final design, it might be a good way to get desired features without investments and risks.
No phone number or credit card is required to contact us: only a short email sign up which does not take more than 30 seconds.
The technical core to synchronize your cloud storage solution with Odoo245€
The tool to automatically synchronize Odoo attachments with OneDrive files in both ways394€
The tool to automatically synchronize Odoo attachments with Google Drive files in both ways394€
The tool to automatically synchronize Odoo attachments with OwnCloud / NextCloud files in both ways394€
The tool for time-based service management from booking appointment to sale and reviews
The tool to combine different Odoo events in a few configurable super calendars. Shared calendar. Common calendar.