Dropbox Odoo Integration v.15
The tool to automatically synchronize Odoo attachments with DropBox files in both ways
This is the tool to integrate Dropbox features with Odoo folders and files. The app automatically stores Odoo attachments and directories in Dropbox and provides instant access to them via web links.
How synchronization works
Dropbox has a specific way to generate links for existing files and folders. In particular, there are no concepts of internal or private URLs. Instead, each Dropbox item might get so-called shared URLs. Such shared links are either public or team-only. Moreover, the latter feature is available only for the Dropbox business account.
This tool relies upon shared links' mechanics. It means, that each attachment link is either public (all personal Dropbox accounts) or team-only (all business Dropbox accounts).
Sometimes it is considered to be not fully safe. Although website URLs will be hardly known by external users, there is a slight chance that they become available as a result of some user actions. Besides, sharing link generation is not super fast and might make the sync process slower. That is why the feature to switch off sharing URLs is introduced.
If checked, all Dropbox URLs in Odoo will be of the type https://www.dropbox.com/home/Odoo/[PATH]. Such links will not work in many cases. Thus, if you need to open Dropbox files/folders from Odoo, be careful with the setting 'No links to Dropbox from Odoo'.
Configuration and Installation Tips for Dropbox Odoo Integration Odoo v.15
The tool depends on the external library 'dropbox'. Install this library for your Odoo server through the command:
pip3 install dropbox
Configuration and log in
- Turn on the option 'Dropbox Sync' (cloud Storage > Configuration > Configuration). The optional add-on Dropbox Odoo Integration is required
- Follow the URL https://www.dropbox.com/developers/apps/create
- Choose an API as 'Scoped access'
- Choose the type of access as 'Full Dropbox'
- Select any suitable name for the app and push the button 'Create app'
- Add the redirect URI as [YOURODOOSITENAME]/dropbox_token (e.g. https://faotools.com/dropbox_token). A valid SSL certificate (https) is required
- Grant permissions to the app: 'Account Info (Read)', 'Files and folders Metadata (Write)', 'Files Content (Write)', 'Collaboration (Write)'. For team DropBox assign also 'Team Data Members', 'Members (Read)'. Make sure no other permissions are assigned.
- Submit App
- Go to Odoo Cloud Storage > Configuration > Cloud Clients press 'Create'
- As a reference introduce any name which would be clear to all users
- As a Cloud client choose 'Dropbox'
- As a Root folder name enter a title which would be users as the parent Google Drive directory for all synced folders. For example, 'Odoo' or 'OdooERP'
- Copy 'App key' to the 'App key'
- Copy 'App Secret' into the field 'App secret'
- Insert previously generated redirect URL
- If you use Dropbox team drives
- Check the related box
- Set an email of the Dropbox user. Inside this user folder, all Odoo related items would be created, and only after that they are shared with all other users. Under this user, all files and folders are created, changed, moved, and deleted
- Press 'Confirm'. Odoo redirects you to the Dropbox login page. Check in the system, agree with all conditions, and grant all permissions asked
- After login, Dropbox redirects you back to Odoo. Dropbox - Odoo synchronization is ready to be done
- Apply the newly created cloud client to folder rules and/or manual folders which should be synced to that Dropbox instance
- Await the sync scheduled job to be started. For testing purposes only: trigger integration manually from Cloud Storage > Configuration > Configuration > the button 'Launch sync'.
Watch also the configuration video
Create a DropBox app
Set up DropBox App: redirection URL
DropBox permissions for personal accounts
DropBox permissions for business accounts
Set up Odoo for DropBox integration
Frequently Asked Questions about Dropbox Odoo Integration Odoo v.15
The app assumes that the binary content of attachments is kept in Cloud Client instead of the Odoo server. So, such attachments in Odoo become of the URL type, and you may any time access them either from the attachments box or from the Cloud Client.
After the setup, no manual actions are required, as the synchronization is fully automatic. Just decide which Odoo document types should be synced and set up a related model to sync for each of those (Customers, Sale or Purchase Orders, Tasks, Projects, etc.).
Yes, you can. To that goal, prepare a rule for each, and then those apply filters: for example by type of a project.
Try to make filters self-exclusive in order a document can be definitely assigned. For instance, 'customer but not supplier', 'supplier but not customer'. Otherwise, a specific document folder would jump from one model to another.
No. We have strong reasons to avoid real time sync:
Performance issues. In case a sync is real time, each file upload will result in the loading screen.
Conflict issues. If 2 users simultaneously change an item, it might lead to unresolved situations. In case of regular jobs we can fix it afterwards, while in case of real time we would need to save it as some queue, and it will be even more misleading for users.
Functionality issues. In particular, renaming and restructuring of items. In the backward sync the tool strictly relies upon directories' logic, and during each sync 100% of items are checked. In case it is done after each update, it will be thousands of requests per second. If not: changes would be lost.
For models' directories (sale orders, opportunities, suppliers, etc.): you may assign your own name for any document type.
For objects' folders (SO-001, John Smith, etc.): the tool relies upon the Odoo 'name_get' method for this document type. However, you can change that by defining name_expression. The same syntax as for Odoo email templates is used.
No, starting from the version 15 you should not change scheduled jobs. They are optimized to run each 15 minutes to guarantee the most stable and quick connection.
Make also sure that your Odoo server timeouts are set for at least 15 minutes (900 seconds).
If you need to stop sync for a while, do that on a particular cloud client form.
Yes, although in case of many folders / attachments to sync, the process might be slow. Simultaneously, our clients reported to us the environments with >10k partners and ~5k product variants to be synced, and the processes were acceptable.
A few points to emphasize:
The sync is constructed in such a way that anyway any item will be synced and will not be lost, although it might be not fast. It is guaranteed by first-in-first-out queues and by each job commits.
The number of objects might be limited logically. The models' configuration let you restrict sync of obsolete items (e.g there is no sense to sync archived partners or orders which are done 2 years ago).
Yes, starting from version 15 you can set up multi connections. In this way, it is possible to sync some folders to one cloud client, others - for another one.
Take into account, it is not anyway possible to sync the same folder for a few cloud storages simultaneously.
Yes, depending on your cloud client configuration.
Starting from version 15, the app might be used stand-alone to structure attachments in folders and to provide file manager interface.
Simultaneously, its main goal is anyway to allow establishing connection with one of cloud clients. Such connection requires at least one client-related optional app installed.
When a folder rule changes, the list of folders also changes. So, if a folder no longer matches the conditions of the folder rules - it is removed. In this case, if the files have already been synced, the reversed sync returns all files back to Odoo and deletes them from the Cloud Client.
If a document's object doesn't match the conditions of a folder rule, then its folder will not be created. However, if later it matches the conditions, then the related folder will be generated.
According to the current Odoo Apps Store policies:
- every module bought for the version 12.0 and prior gives you an access to the all versions up to 12.0.
- starting from the version 13.0, every version of the module should be purchased separately.
- disregarding the version, purchasing a tool grants you a right for all updates and bug fixes within a major version.
Take into account that faOtools team does not control those policies. By all questions please contact the Odoo Apps Store representatives directly.
The easiest approach is to use the Odoo store built-in workflow:
1. Open the module's page and click the button Deploy on odoo.sh
2. After that, you will be redirected to the GitHub page. Login to your account and click 'Create a new repo' or use the existing one. Please, make sure, that your repository is private. It is not permitted to publish the apps under the OPL-1 license. If necessary, create a new repo for your Odoo.sh project
3. Then, go to odoo.sh and click on the deploy button, submit the decision in the pop-up window and click 'Continue'. The action will trigger the installation process.
These steps would install the app for your project production branch. If you wanted to deploy the apps for other branches or update the module, you should undertake the following actions:
1. Upload the source code for the app from the Odoo store
2. Commit the module to a required GitHub repository. Make sure that none of the app folders/files are ignored (included in the .gitignore of your repo). Repositories are automatically created by odoo.sh, which might add by default some crucial items there (e.g. /lib). You should upload all module directories, subdirectories, and files without exceptions
3. Deploy a target branch of the odoo.sh project or wait until it is automatically built if your settings assume that.
Unzip source code of purchased tools in one of your Odoo add-ons directory
Re-start the Odoo server
Turn on the developer mode (technical settings)
Update the apps' list (the apps' menu)
Find the app and push the button 'Install'
Follow the guidelines on the app's page if those exist.
Yes, sure. Take into account that Odoo automatically adds all dependencies to a cart. You should exclude previously purchased tools.
Regretfully, we do not have a technical possibility to provide individual prices.
No, third party apps can not be used on Odoo Online.
Yes, all modules marked in dependencies are absolutely required for a correct work of our tool. Take into account that price marked on the app page already includes all necessary dependencies.
Red / orange warning itself does not influence features of the app. Regretfully, sometimes our modules do not pass standard automatic tests, since the latter assumes behavior which is in conflict with our apps goals. For example, we change price calculation, while standard Odoo module tests compare final price to standard algorithm.
So, first of all, please check deployed database features. Does everything work correctly?
If you still assume that warning influences real features, please contact us and forward full installation logs and the full lists of deployed modules (including core and third party ones).
The price for our modules is set up in euros. The Odoo store converts prices in others currencies according to its internal exchange rate. Thus, the price in US Dollars may change, when exchange rate changes.
Odoo demonstration databases (live previews)
For this app, we might provide a free personalized demo database.
By your request, we will prepare an individual live preview database, where you would be able to apply any tests and check assumptions for 14 days.
In case you have faced any bugs or inconsistent behavior, do not hesitate to contact us. We guarantee to provide fixes within 60 days after the purchase, while even after this period we are strongly interested to improve our tools.
Please include in your request as many details as possible: screenshots, Odoo server logs, a full description of how to reproduce your problem, and so on. Usually, it takes a few business days to prepare a working plan for an issue (if a bug is confirmed) or provide you with guidelines on what should be done (otherwise).
Public features requests and module ideas (free development)
We are strongly motivated to improve our tools and would be grateful for any sort of feedback. In case your requirements are of public use and might be efficiently implemented, the team would include those in our to-do list.
Such a to-do list is processed on a regular basis and does not assume extra fees. Although we cannot promise deadlines and final design, it might be a good way to get desired features without investments and risks.
New features and extra Odoo services (individual development)
Each of our apps might be customized and extended to suit your specific requirements.
Our customization team (itlibertas.com) fulfills not only such jobs but also provides a full range of Odoo services. From simple modifications and consultations to complex enterprise projects. The team has completed over 100 implementations since 2012 and might help with any technical or business needs.
The tool to flexibly structure Odoo attachments in folders and synchronize directories with cloud clients: Google Drive, OneDrive/SharePoint, Nextcloud/ownCloud, Dropbox. DMS. File Manager. Document management system.245€
The tool to automatically synchronize Odoo attachments with OneDrive files in both ways394€
The tool to automatically synchronize Odoo attachments with Google Drive files in both ways
The tool to automatically synchronize Odoo attachments with ownCloud / Nextcloud files in both ways
The tool to build deep and structured knowledge base for internal and external use. Knowledge System. KMS. Wiki-like revisions
The tool for time-based service management from booking appointments to sales and reviews399€