Google Drive Odoo Integration v.13
The tool to automatically synchronize Odoo attachments with Google Drive files in both ways
Selectable documents types for sync
The tool let you split any business model into a few directories. Have a separate folder for individuals and companies, for European and American opportunities, for each project, etc.
Moreover, it is possible to guarantee that only topical documents are synced by using relative periods: leads registered in the last 3 months, invoices updated the last week, and so on.
Typical use cases
- Projects: have an own Google Drive folder for each customer project.
- Customers: add all partner files in a single directory available both from Odoo and from Google Drive. Modify those using default cloud editors and access them when working in Odoo.
- Employees: gather all files by this employee in a single cloud folder: photos, document scans, contracts. Access and upload those from Odoo and Google Drive alternatively.
- Opportunities: carefully store all specifications, requirements, any files which would let you make a good offer.
- Orders: keep all printings and contracts in Google Drive with simple availability from Odoo.
Choose document types to be synced
Document type might have a few folders based on filters
Automatic and bilateral integration
Synced attachments are physically kept only in a cloud storage, what increases Odoo interface performance. Simultaneously, you can open documents from Odoo or download those in a single click.
How files and folders are synced from Odoo to Google Drive
Based on the scheduled job 'Synchronize attachments with cloud' Odoo regularly checks whether:
- Any new attachment should be forwarded to Google Drive;
- Any new document type (e.g. Sale orders) is added / replaced / renamed as a sync model and, hence, whether a directory should be created / removed / renamed in Google Drive;
- Any new document (e.g. Sale Order SO019) is generated / updated / unlinked and, hence, whether a Google Drive folder should be created / moved or renamed / deleted.
- Any new attachment should be removed from Google Drive if it has been deleted from Odoo.
Based on results of that checks, Odoo starts processing queue of changes, and makes sure that all items are located correctly. The final goal is to have the structure 'Odoo / Document Types / Documents / Files. For example, 'Odoo / Quotations / SO019 / commercial offer.pdf'.
During the synchronization all synced Odoo attachments change their type to a link (URL), while binary content is removed with a next Odoo cleaner. So, no actual files would be stored on your Odoo server.
Please take into account:
- Each sync (especially the very first one) might take quite a long. It is not recommended to make sync too frequent: once an hour seems reasonable frequency.
- File names should be managed in Google Drive: each backward sync would recover Google Drive names, Odoo is here less important.
How items are retrieved from Google Drive to Odoo
Based on the scheduled job 'Synchronize attachments from cloud' Odoo regularly checks whether:
- Any file is added / moved / removed in a Google Drive document folder. If yes, Odoo would create a link to this file in a target object (e.g. a new attachment to SO019) or would move / delete such an attachment.
- Any file of a Google Drive document folder is renamed. If yes, an attachment would be renamed in Odoo as well.
- In document folders you can put not only files but also child folders. In that case a link for this folder (not its content) would be kept in Odoo attachments.
- If you deleted a folder related to this document type or this document, their child files would be deleted as well. Thus, Odoo would remove related attachments. The folders, however, will be recovered with a next direct sync.
- Each backward sync might take quite a long. It is not recommended to make sync too frequent: once an hour seems safe enough.
Synced files are simply found in Google Drive. Add unlimited number of files or folders
Document types folders in Google Drive
All document of this type has an own folder
Direct access to Google Drive items
- Click on attachment to open it in Google Drive in a new tab (necessary to be logged in Google Drive);
- Click the icon of cloud to start downloading file from Google Drive (no extra check in is required)
- Push the button "Open cloud folder" to open all files related to this document.
Individual and team drives
Fully integrated and compatible with Enterprise Documents
It does not contradict printing, mailing, or Enterprise documents features.
For the latter it is also possible to fully reflect directories structure, not only sync standard attachments.
How Odoo Enterprise Documents are synced
This tool is not in conflict with the 'documents' module provided under the Enterprise license. Attachments related to Enterprise folders would be synced as any other files: according to a document they relate to.
It is not always comfortable, and you might be interested in reflecting directories' structure introduced by the module 'Documents'. To this end the special extension is developed. This extension introduces the following features:
- The documents hierarchy is reflected within the folder 'Odoo / Odoo Docs'
- Each Odoo folder has a linked cloud folder. Take into account that folders created in the cloud storage will be synced as Odoo attachments. The key principle is: folders are managed by Odoo, files are managed by the cloud client
- All files are synced with the same logic as usual attachments. Files created in Odoo will be added to the cloud storage and will be replaced with links in Odoo. Files created in cloud storage will generate attachments within a paired directory
- Please do not name synced models as 'Odoo Docs'. This is the reserved name for Odoo Enterprise Documents
A few important peculiarities to take into account
- Take into account that files or folders deleted in Google Drive are really deleted only when you clean trash. Otherwise, such files still exist and would be reflected in Odoo
- Try to avoid the following symbols in folders' and files' names: *, ?, ", ', :, <, >, |, +, %, !, @, \, /,. Direct sync will replace such symbols with '-'. It is done to avoid conflicts with file systems.
Direct access from Odoo documents to Google Drive
Enterprise Documents in Google Drive
Enterprise files in Google Drive
Great App and great Service from faOtools.
Best module for integration with google drive
The module performs its function correctly and faOtools responds quickly to any problem and, in case of detecting any bug, quickly apply the changes. Its support is 10 stars.
Google Drive Sync logs in Odoo
Default folders for documents
Configuration and Installation Tips for Google Drive Odoo Integration Odoo v.13
Login and Google Drive Credentials
- Go to the Google Developer Console via the url https://console.developers.google.com
- Select or create a project
- Find the section 'Dashboard' and press 'ENABLE APIS AND SERVICES'
- Find Google Drive API and push the button to enable its API
- Go to 'Credentials' and press the button 'Configure Consent Screen'. As the User Type select 'External' and push 'Create'
- Add app information
- As an app name select any suitable
- As a user support email and developer contact information select your email address
- Press 'Save and Continue'
- On the 'Scopes' page just press 'Save and Continue'
- As Test Users add your GMail email address, then press 'Save and Continue'
- Then, go to Credentials and push the button 'Create Credentials'
- 'Web application' as the application type
- As the authorized redirect URI add the link in a format [YOURODOOSITENAME]/google_drive_token (e.g. https://odootools.com/google_drive_token).
- Save the app and copy 'Client ID' and 'Client Secret'
- Go to the Odoo Google Drive Settings
- Copy 'Client ID' to the 'App Client ID'
- Copy 'Client Secret' into the field 'App Secret Key'
- Insert previously generated redirect url
- If you use team drives, check the related box. Make sure you really use team drives. In you Google Drive you should find the item 'Team Drives' in the left sidebar. This feature is available only for business and enterprise tariffs
- If the option 'Team Drive' is enabled, introduce its name. It should be absolutely the same as you see it in your Google Drive. Make sure that your user has full rights for this team drive
- Press 'Save'
- Press 'Login and Confirm'. Odoo redirects you to Google login page. Check in, agree with all conditions, and grant permissions asked
- After login, Google redirects you back to Odoo. Google Drive - Odoo synchronization is ready to be done.
Google Console: APIs
Google Drive API
Enable Google Drive API
Configuring Google Consent Screen
Setting up External User Type API
Entering Google app details
Google app scopes
Adding authorized users
Creating Google app credentials
Google Drive app redirect URL
Copy app credentials
Enter Google app credentials to Odoo
Odoo server configuration and cron job configuration
To make sure the synchronization works correctly apply proper timeouts to the Odoo configuration file: LIMIT_TIME_CPU, LIMIT_TIME_REAL, LIMIT_TIME_REAL_CRON should be more than 900 seconds.
For Odoo.sh this should not be done, since timeouts are predefined and are not configurable.
Then, timeout should be entered to your Odoo. To that goal find the section 'Settings' on the app configuration page and copy the number there.
Afterwards, it is needed to make the cron jobs suit the applied timeouts. In the debug mode go to the Settings > Technical > Automation > Scheduled Jobs:
- Set up the job 'Synchronize attachments with cloud' as (a) frequency - 2*timeout; (b) the next execution as the next hour +timeout. For example, for 900seconds timeout: frequency - as 30minutes; the next execution - at 08:15
- Set up the job 'Synchronize attachments from cloud' as (a) frequency - 2*timeout; (b) the next execution as the next hour + timeout*2. For example, for 900seconds timeout: frequency - as 30minutes; the next execution- at 08:30.
Frequently Asked Questions about Google Drive Odoo Integration Odoo v.13
The app itself does not regulate access rights on the Google Drive side. It should be done manually there. Thus, Odoo would create target folders in Google Drive, which by default are not shared, while you can change permissions to any of the folders. For example, to grant full rights for the 'Odoo' directory or to a specific 'Odoo > Sale Orders' or 'Odoo > Sale Orders > SO-001'.
The app works on a single user endpoint principle. So, all sync operations are done under the same Google Drive user (according to the Google API app you have configured).
To delete a file completely, you need to clean the bin in Google Drive as well.
Also, keep in mind that a file might still be in Odoo, because the backward synchronization doesn't proceed the attachment yet. As this is a scheduled process, some time is required.
The module uses only free API, so you will not be charged by Google.
Yes, you can. To this end:
Turn on debug mode
Go to technical settings > Automation > Scheduled jobs
Find the jobs 'Synchronize attachments with cloud' and 'Update attachments from cloud'.
Take into account that you should not make them too frequent. It is preferable this job is finished until a new one is started. Thus, the configuration should depend on how many items you to sync you have. Usually, the frequency is set up between 15 minutes to 4 hours.
Make also sure that you have set up enough time limits in your Odoo configuration file. Thus, LIMIT_TIME_CPU and LIMIT_TIME_REAL parameters should be equal or bigger than planned cron job time. Starting from the version 13 consider also the parameter LIMIT_TIME_REAL_CRON.
An import notice for Odoo.sh clients: the maximum time for cron job might be set up as 15 minutes only.
The app assumes that the binary content of attachments is kept in Cloud Client instead of the Odoo server. So, such attachments in Odoo become of the URL type, and you may any time access them either from the attachments box or from the Cloud Client.
After the setup, no manual actions are required, as the synchronization is fully automatic. Just decide which Odoo document types should be synced and set up a related model to sync for each of those (Customers, Sale or Purchase Orders, Tasks, Projects, etc.).
No, this feature is available only from version 15. Prior to that version, the module works with the pre-defined structure of folders:
Odoo - a core folder for sync
Models - folders for each Odoo document type. For example, 'Projects', 'Partners'. Distinguished by domain there might be more specific folders: e.g., 'Customer 1 Projects', 'Projects of the Customer 2', 'Internal Projects', etc.
Objects - folders for each document, e.g. 'Project 1' or 'Customer 1'
Files and folders related to this Odoo document to be synced.
As a result you may have for instance:
Odoo / Projects / Project 1 / files and folders related to the project 1
Odoo / Customer 1 Projects / Project 1; Odoo / Customer 2 Projects / Project 3, ...
Odoo / Customers / Customer 1 / files and folders related to the customer 1
This structure is always flat, meaning that there are only those levels of hierarchy. Thus, it is correct that various document types can't be done within the same structure. Within the folder 'Customer 1' we can't keep the files related both to sale orders, invoices, and projects. Each of those document type has an own (or a few own) folders. Otherwise, we will not have a chance to make backward synchronization, since there would be no criteria to rely upon.
Yes, you can. To that goal, prepare a rule for each, and then those apply filters: for example by type of a project.
Try to make filters self-exclusive in order a document can be definitely assigned. For instance, 'customer but not supplier', 'supplier but not customer'. Otherwise, a specific document folder would jump from one model to another.
No, the tool relies upon a single user end point. It means that all sync processes are done under a single cloud admin (app). Access rights for created folders / files are not automatized. You should administrate those rights in your cloud storage solution.
No. We have strong reasons to avoid real time sync:
Performance issues. In case a sync is real time, each file upload will result in the loading screen.
Conflict issues. If 2 users simultaneously change an item, it might lead to unresolved situations. In case of regular jobs we can fix it afterwards, while in case of real time we would need to save it as some queue, and it will be even more misleading for users.
Functionality issues. In particular, renaming and restructuring of items. In the backward sync the tool strictly relies upon directories' logic, and during each sync 100% of items are checked. In case it is done after each update, it will be thousands of requests per second. If not: changes would be lost.
No, the tool is only a technical core. You also need the connector for your cloud client.
Yes, depending on your cloud client configuration.
Yes, although in case of many folders / attachments to sync, the process might be slow. Simultaneously, our clients reported to us the environments with >10k partners and ~5k product variants to be synced, and the processes were acceptable.
A few points to emphasize:
The sync is constructed in such a way that anyway any item will be synced and will not be lost, although it might be not fast. It is guaranteed by first-in-first-out queues and by each job commits.
The number of objects might be limited logically. The models' configuration let you restrict sync of obsolete items (e.g there is no sense to sync archived partners or orders which are done 2 years ago).
No, this feature becomes available only from version 15.
According to the current Odoo Apps Store policies:
- every module bought for the version 12.0 and prior gives you an access to the all versions up to 12.0.
- starting from the version 13.0, every version of the module should be purchased separately.
- disregarding the version, purchasing a tool grants you a right for all updates and bug fixes within a major version.
Take into account that faOtools team does not control those policies. By all questions please contact the Odoo Apps Store representatives directly.
The easiest approach is to use the Odoo store built-in workflow:
1. Open the module's page and click the button Deploy on odoo.sh
2. After that, you will be redirected to the GitHub page. Login to your account and click 'Create a new repo' or use the existing one. Please, make sure, that your repository is private. It is not permitted to publish the apps under the OPL-1 license. If necessary, create a new repo for your Odoo.sh project
3. Then, go to odoo.sh and click on the deploy button, submit the decision in the pop-up window and click 'Continue'. The action will trigger the installation process.
These steps would install the app for your project production branch. If you wanted to deploy the apps for other branches or update the module, you should undertake the following actions:
1. Upload the source code for the app from the Odoo store
2. Commit the module to a required GitHub repository. Make sure that none of the app folders/files are ignored (included in the .gitignore of your repo). Repositories are automatically created by odoo.sh, which might add by default some crucial items there (e.g. /lib). You should upload all module directories, subdirectories, and files without exceptions
3. Deploy a target branch of the odoo.sh project or wait until it is automatically built if your settings assume that.
Yes, sure. Take into account that Odoo automatically adds all dependencies to a cart. You should exclude previously purchased tools.
A red/orange warning itself does not influence features of the app. Regretfully, sometimes our modules do not pass standard automatic tests, since the latter assumes behavior which is in conflict with our apps goals. For example, we change price calculation, while standard Odoo module tests compare final price to standard algorithm.
So, first of all, please check deployed database features. Does everything work correctly?
If you still assume that warning influences real features, please contact us and forward full installation logs and the full lists of deployed modules (including core and third party ones).
Regretfully, we do not have a technical possibility to provide individual prices.
No, third party apps can not be used on Odoo Online.
Yes, all modules marked in dependencies are absolutely required for a correct work of our tool. Take into account that price marked on the app page already includes all necessary dependencies.
The price for our modules is set up in euros. The Odoo store converts prices in others currencies according to its internal exchange rate. Thus, the price in US Dollars may change, when exchange rate changes.
In case you have faced any bugs or inconsistent behavior, do not hesitate to contact us. We guarantee to provide fixes within 60 days after the purchase, while even after this period we are strongly interested to improve our tools.
No phone number or credit card is required to contact us: only a short email sign up which does not take more than 30 seconds.
Please include in your request as many details as possible: screenshots, Odoo server logs, a full description of how to reproduce your problem, and so on. Usually, it takes a few business days to prepare a working plan for an issue (if a bug is confirmed) or provide you with guidelines on what should be done (otherwise).
Public features requests and module ideas (free development)
We are strongly motivated to improve our tools and would be grateful for any sort of feedback. In case your requirements are of public use and might be efficiently implemented, the team would include those in our to-do list.
Such a to-do list is processed on a regular basis and does not assume extra fees. Although we cannot promise deadlines and final design, it might be a good way to get desired features without investments and risks.
No phone number or credit card is required to contact us: only a short email sign up which does not take more than 30 seconds.
The tool to build deep and structured knowledge base for internal and external use. Knowledge System. KMS
The tool for time-based service management from booking appointment to sale and reviews398€
The technical core to synchronize your cloud storage solution with Odoo245€
The tool to automatically synchronize Odoo attachments with OneDrive files in both ways394€
The tool to automatically synchronize Odoo attachments with OwnCloud / NextCloud files in both ways394€
The tool to automatically synchronize Odoo attachments with DropBox files in both ways394€